ABN 36 118 172 771

Club Permits

The Victorian club permit scheme allows members of car clubs (including motorcycle, trailer/caravan and machinery clubs) that are recognised by

VicRoads to make limited use of historic vehicles on the road network.

A club permit can be issued to the following vehicles in the following categories:

These categories can include trailers and modified vehicles such as street rods. Vehicles which are replicas of vehicles in the abovementioned categories may also be issued with a club permit.

Club permits are issued for 12 month periods and vehicles are issued with specific club permit plate(s).

Under the conditions of use, permit holders are not restricted to club sanctioned activities when using their vehicles.

Club Permit vehicles can be used at any time for any purpose other than for the carriage of goods or passengers for hire or reward.

A logbook is issued to permit holders to record the use of the vehicle over the permit period. A log book entry must be made each day that the vehicle is used (unless the vehicle is within 100 metres of the garaged address).

The logbook must be carried in the vehicle, or on the rider in the case of motorcycles, at all times the vehicle is in use.

  • Financial members of VicRoads’ approved clubs are able to apply for either a 45 or 90 day permit depending on how much use they expect to make of their vehicles over a 12 month period.
  • If a person obtains a 45 day permit but later decides that this is not enough, another 45 day permit may be purchased later on. 
    However, no-one will be able to obtain a permit to drive their vehicle for more than 90 days in each 12 month registration period.

    Other features of the new scheme include:

    Slim line club permit number plates are available.

    Applying for a club permit 
    To apply for a Club permit you will need to complete a Club Permit Application form, Vehicle elligibility and standard declaration for Club Permit Vehicles (both of which must be signed by the Permit Officer)

    together with a Roadworthy for the vehicle

    The following PHOTOGRAPHS (preferably digital) of the car are held by the club: 

    Front, Drivers side, rear, driving position ( side on, door open), chassis/eng numbers.

     Note: Street Rods are no longer permitted under the CPS Scheme but are catered for by the Modified Vehicle Permit Scheme.

    Refunds are not available for Club Permits if the period for which the permit was obtained has commenced.

    Number plates
    If you submit your Club Permit application at one of the following VicRoads Customer Service Centres, you will receive your number plates on the spot.

     If you go to any other Customer Service Centre you may have to wait for the delivery of your number plates.

    Click Here to go AOMC Frequently Asked Questions on the new Club Permit Scheme.